Wednesday, October 29, 2008

"Baby moon"

Betsy and I were lucky enough to be able to borrow "the cabin" for the weekend. We enjoyed every minute of it!

A quick history of this special place... McCall Idaho (ski town USA), a beautiful, once sleepy little town of about 3,000. In 1973 (or there about) my Aunt Jackie and Uncle Mike, together with my parents bought a little round house for a get away. I have many, many fond memories of times spent up there, exploring the surrounding woods, skiing and later snowboarding, hiking, fishing, swimming... trips with my family, aunts, uncles, cousins and friends.... it is truly a special place for me. This was Betsy's fifth trip up there, and she is extremely happy to be banking happy times in the round house.

Enough about the structure, this was a trip to relax and do, well,... nothing. The tamaracks were fully golden, the leaves on the deciduous trees were past there prime but still glorious, the crowds nonexistent and the weather was perfect. Cold and crisp in the mornings, warm in the afternoons. Betsy was able to occupy here time with one of her favorite past times (sleeping), and I took a couple walks along some of the paths of my youth.


One of the highlights, besides all the rest and relaxation, was a trip to little Payette lake. There is a small dam to fills up this shallow lake (I didn't know they have kokanee, small mouth bass and pike, I will have to come back with my flyrod!), but being late in the fall, the water was low and sandy beaches were exposed. Just right for lounging and relaxing!





I took this picture of the sunlight filtering through the trees like light through a cathedral.

We ate too much at "the pancake house", a McCall tradition ($2.50 for the cinnamon roll, can you believe it?) Thanks Aunt Liddia for the Reformation Sunday treat!

Played in the sand...


And sadly left the cabin, once again,.... hope fully to return again soon!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A positively inspirational spot. I see why you were moved to write to nostagically, Michael. Glad you two could get away and have some quality time with each other and our Lord through nature! Cute picture with Ezekial's name in the sand. Look forward to meeting the little guy next month!!

About Me

My photo
Boise, ID, United States